Monday, July 30, 2007

Summer hand jobs

It was a good weekend for drinking beer and listening to music. Thank the Lord for church festivals where two great tastes come together. Drinking for Jesus was a success this weekend as St. Johns provided two good bands on Saturday and Sunday with plenty of beer.

But I must ask a question. How did they run out of bottles of beer? I think the kids manning the Miller truck were carting off the cases to the trunks of their cars.

On Saturday night, we caught a band from Illinois called Infinity. A friend thought they were a Journey cover band but they played a lot of other stuff too. Their sets began with other artists (Boston, Van Halen, Foreigner, etc.) and ended with 3 or 4 Journey songs. The guys in the band sounded pretty good and had the chops to deliver some good music. The show was well done. I would definitely see these guys again if they wandered up above the border.

I would give them one suggestion. Don't do Van Halen's Jump. It wasn't that good. Sure the guitars and the keyboard were spot on, but the lead singer sounded like a girl. When he shouted "Jump" ("..might as well jump, JUMP!), I kept looking for a chick on the stage. I thought it was someone in the crowd that was really loud. After a number of these high pitched JUMPS!, I realized it was the lead dude. Just seemed wrong. Otherwise the show was good.

After the action Saturday night, we headed up to Big Mommas. Sat by the owner's wife and chatted with her. At one point she asked if I ever had a Summer Hand Job. Calm down perverts, it was a shot, not an actual hand job. She went on to tell her daughter, the bartender, to give us all a summer hand job. So that became the theme for the rest of the night. Complimenting her daughter on giving good hand jobs. I did like how her mother was enjoying the embarrassment her kid was feeling. I don't know if her boyfriend liked it or not. Not like he was going to kick my ass anyways. Hey, it could have been worse. She could have been giving out blowjobs instead.

Sunday morning was a slightly groggy one. Some Sundays are meant to be spent in a vegetative state, barley moving, except to get something to eat. Otherwise it is spent in comfortable chair or couch with the TV on. This Sunday was not a one of those days. Rhythm Method was playing and the call to Drink for Jesus was made. Besides, with football camps opening up, drinking on Sunday felt like warming up for the football season ahead.

Rhythm Method put on another tight set. They seemed to focus more on the classic rock bands now. Pink Floyd, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Yes. It appears they have dropped the 80s music they used to play. No more Van Halen, Night Ranger, or Honeymoon Suite. I wonder why that is. Though they still have a rocking show, I did like it better with some of the 80s sound. They are still the best cover band in the city.

Now it is back to work. I can't help but feel I need a day off. In the second half of August I have a number of days scheduled for vacation. Those are weeks out though. Feels like a long time.

No comments: