Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Snow tilt

I made myself miserable last night.

Early weather reports for 4 to 8 inches of snow. Later in the evening, as you may have seen from the prior post, it was suddenly 14-18 inches. I had plans to play a couple of poker tournaments but my mind was elsewhere. I did play some Omaha 8 but couldn't focus. I kept thinking about how this storm was going to make me miserable tomorrow.

I am not a pessimist. I don't think many people would even think of that word when describing me. Yet, I was overly concerned about how much snow was piling up outside. My stomach was in knots worried about the amount of snow I would have to shovel, how the drive to work was going to be pure hell, how I would have to shovel a foot of snow at my mother's house, how the drive home would be even more hell, and finally shoveling everything at my house at the end of the day.

None of this is in my control but yet it was bugging the crap out of me. I kept going to the window every 15 minutes looking outside to see how much snow was there. It pissed me off that there was hardly any accumulation. Maybe an inch. It had been snowing for 4 hours and there wasn't even an inch of snow.

I finally gave in and went to bed early, determined to get up and face the day, how ever bad it might be. I found myself getting out of bed at some ungodly hour and looking outside. Still didn't look like much snow had fallen. I looked at the clock as I fell back into bed. 3:33. Guess it wasn't half as hellish as I thought it would be.

I got out of bed at 5:06 because I couldn't sleep anymore. I figured it was a good a time as any to get up and attack what was out there. It was between 1-2 inches of wet, heavy snow. The kind that curls up at the end of the shovel before you hoist it up and over the snow bank. I cleared my ice rink of a sidewalk in about 30 minutes. Took longer than normal. I couldn't help notice my neighbor came by later with his snow blower. I am hoping he does that again during the day. They say the brunt of the storm hits today with at least 10 inches. With the way it looks outside, I doubt they will be wrong.

The drive into work wasn't too bad either. Yes, I chose to go to work even with the crappy weather. My thought process was simple. I had to shovel at my mom's house and she is close by. Yeah, it may sound strange but that is the way I was brought up. No matter what the weather was, you did what was needed to fulfill your responsibilities, whether it is school or work.

Thus I sit at work looking at the snow blow all over the place. I am not concerned about the weather or how much snow shoveling will need to be done. The work will get done and by the end of the night I will hopefully be enjoying a beer with friends playing trivia. I may be tired and beat down by then, but I will be relaxed.

It is just snow. It is a pain in the ass. But it could be worse. Say a prayer for those unfortunate families of the tornado victims in the south.

Let's go out on a high note. The perfect commercial

No comments: