Friday, February 22, 2008

What to eat before drinking?

When I look at the information provided by Statcounter, I notice one consistent trend over the years I have been blogging my thoughts. There has been one topic that the search engines consistently answer with a link to this site.

Food and alcohol. The question differs between "What is the best food to eat before drinking" or "What to eat while drinking" or my favorite "What food soaks up alcohol?"

And now, after years of informal research, I believe I am finally able to provide the answer. And for most of us, it has been in front of your faces all along.

The best food to eat before or while drinking is......... bar food!

No, I am not joking. Bar food it there for a reason. It provides a base for your stomach and it gives some filler during a binge. Wings, burgers, and pizza all go great with beer. That is not a coincidence.

Even those pretzels they have in the bowl on the bar are there for a reason. Not as much to make you thirsty as they are to keep you going. Those pretzels will soak up the alcohol quite well. Just make sure you are getting them fresh. Last thing you want is to sit down by a half empty bowl of pretzels and watch a guy come right out of the restroom and dig his hand in there. Odds are he was eating before he went into the john and didn't wash his hands on the way out.

The real key to eating and drinking is simple. Don't eat too much! It is about quantity and keeping yourself from filling your stomach is room that can be used to store booze. The last thing you want to do is eat a big meal and then go out for some drinks. After a couple of beers you feel bloated and like you might hurl. All because you ate too much.

You have to be careful with meals that have a combination of breadings, batters and starches. Those meals can take more time to digest. A good fish fry can lead to a destructive night. Same with pasta. Even too many Hooters wings will do you in unless you keep drinking beer to keep it moving. All those starches can break down and before you know it, your stomach feels like it is full of cement.

So next time you are planning that night of floozing and boozing, get a small meal in your stomach first. But don't eat too much. Better yet, go to the saloon and enjoy some wings or pizza as you quaff your malted beverages. That bar food is there for a reason. To help you make it through the night.

No go rock on with your bad selfs!

Now go read St. Patty's Day Survival

20 comments:

AletaR said...

To much fried bar food can cause some stomach issues, let alone the cauliflower fart.

StB said...

Again, it is also about quantity. Too much of anything will prevent you from drinking more.

Jared said...

Very helpful! I'm planning on drinking too much tomorrow night, so I'll be eating my fair share of pretzels! But not too many. :)

Trevor Strang said...

As a sidenote, greasy bar food is good while you are drinking. But after you are done drinking for the night, stay away from it! You're better off with some healthier options.

Anonymous said...

does eating fish and shell food have any effect. can i eat a lobster and drink. if so what kind of drinks?

Anonymous said...

whahahaha lobster, What would you want to eat that for. Basically, dont be too full. I know on my 18th I had an all you can eat chinese and it was like a competition to eat the most, this was then followed by a larger downing contest, shortly follwed by an ultimate unbeatable barf by me. If you drink on an empty stomach you will not last long, plus I dont think its great for your stomach lineing. I do find though that eating alot of fruit during the day helps you to not be sluggish, allthough im allergic to mangoes (they send me crazy, better than any party drug).

Anonymous said...

Well, drinking on an empty stomach is a bad idea... especially whilst on anti-biotics! Well, a couple of weeks ago, me and a couple of mates went out. I drank about half of a 70cl (vodka) in about 5 - 10 minutes, showing off. I was fine, walking around, and then BANG... it hit me, and kept on hitting me until I was unconcsious, and rushed to A&E as I couldn't stop hurling nothing but liquid. Bad times.

Anonymous said...

your stupid, salty foods will make u more dehydrated and alcohol is passed through the liver by water

StB said...

You cannot spell correctly and I am the stupid one?

Anonymous said...

What about rice? Usually before my wife and I go out to bars for a party we eat sushi because we love it... Seems the nights I go out and drink after eating sushi, I have a better buzz. No stomach aches, not overly drunk. Or maybe I'm just a professional alcoholic... I don't know. lol

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

finally someone who doesn't urge everyone else "not to drink too much". take the prohibitionist drivel to where it belongs you overly-conservative fascists. thanks again stb for being realistic and insightful

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to add, as a hangover remedy, that I have found drinks high in sodium can help A LOT!
My preference is either pickle juice or v8 tomato juice. It helps by "tricking" your body into retaining water because of the high sodium content. Pickle juice has a lot of salts and anti-oxidants, but I just like it to begin with.

Anonymous said...

Cramped muscles, stressful and rash behaviour, increasing episodes of mood swings, and heart problems are just few of the symptoms that are guaranteed to plague one's health due to alcoholic drinking. This is because, alcohol depletes the body of magnesium. Magnesium acts as a stress fighter and system soothing agent. When the body loses to much of it, the result of alcoholism, the body becomes cramped up, experiencing such ailments as muscle cramps, back pain, palpitations, increasing levels of stress and episodes of depression. So if you can kick the habit, do it so you don't kick the bucket.

HANZOE said...

^So you're telling me I should take a lot of magnesium while binge drinking? Good advice. Thanks guy!! :)

Anonymous said...

yeah im getting fucking trashed tonight, but i'll be eating pretzels like a mother fucker

D said...

I am curious about the theory of eating a fatty/oily meal before drinking to line and thus protect ones stomach.. i have no idea if this is true or i good move? Anyone have any real knowledge on this one?

kidney stone treatment said...

I prefer to drink orange juice before having my meal. Just builds my appetite.

Anonymous said...

Getting wasted tomorrow night so I'm gonna experiment with a meal plan! Carbs, carbs, carbs, that is what usually does the job for me, oh and when the drinking is done, chug the water, and wrap up in blankets, your body will sweat as a manner of detoxification, saving you from a long day of headaches and vomitting..

Anonymous said...

fucking gay