Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thankful for 2008

I got a good recommendation on a beer from Chilly yesterday. Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout. A nice dark stout with a creamy flow and taste. Very mellow and satisfying. I was quite surprised to find this at the liquor store down the street. Chilly made mention of it just hours before. I never expected to have a 6 pack so close by.

Sadly it is one of the few beers left. Once again I can't tell if the liquor store is going out of business or just running very lean on inventory. Half of the booze shelves were empty. The cooler was barely a third stocked. The micro brew section was down to about 5 beers (mostly summer beers that have been sitting there). Last time the word was he was getting a new distributor. This time I fear it is worse that they will be shutting down. I hope not. Having a liquor store a block away is so convenient.

That is just one of the many changes in 2008. I don't do "year in reviews". Takes too much time. If you want to see all the nonsense I have been through you can click through each of the months on the side.

Instead I would like to remember the friends and family I have lost this past year. There is nothing we can do to avoid death. All we can do is support those who grieve the most and be thankful to have know the deceased and keep the good memories in our hearts.

I also like to thank all my friends. All of those I know at the bar. The fantastic people that made New York and New Orleans a great visit. The crazy group I get together with in Las Vegas. And of course, the people closest to me that I camp with. It is a great feeling knowing that I have friends I can count on, that will be there to help if needed, that can count on me to support them when troubled times arise. I just hope I have been as good a friend to you this past year as you all have been for me.

I am an optimistic person. I don't like to dwell on the bad. Makes life a pisser and who wants that? I wish you all the best in 2009. Hopefully we make the best of what life has to give and create memories that are never forgotten.

No comments: