Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Is it worth $200

I will be taking another trip in a couple months, this time down to the South. In doing my research for a flight out there, I realized there was no easy way to get there. A direct flight wasn't going to happen, so I had to settle with a layover somewhere. My first search didn't seem that bad but if there was any delay, I would have to run from one plane to the other to make the connecting flight (30 minute window).

The cost of the flight was more than I had paid in quite a bit of time. I would be paying two different airlines to get me to my destination. Ironically, the second part of the trip, though 2 hours less in the air, would cost me $80 more than the major part of the trip. I know this because I always dissect my trips to what costs what. Paying that much for a puddle jumper was ridiculous.

Then it dawned on me. I could rent a car and drive the second part of the trip. I checked Mapquest to get an idea of how long it might be. About 180 miles, or 2 1/2 hours of driving (what you expect me to drive 55?). Figuring in cost of the car and gas, the difference between driving and flying is $200.

Is driving worth the 200 bones? The downside I see is catching my flight back home. I would have to drive those 2 1/2 hours in the morning, leaving a bit earlier than I care to. Oh, and I might be hungover or still drunk at the time. Right now I am leaning to driving as I could see spending that money on booze and other stuff.

Curious to see what others would do. Thoughts?

I felt kinda melancholy yesterday when I saw word that the local paper's food critic had passed away. I shot off an email to my friend at the paper asking what happened. I am not a self proclaimed food like some, but I always enjoyed reading his reviews every Friday. It was a guaranteed read for me. I may not eat out all that often but I usually would digest what he had to say about places and file them away in my brain for later when friends were looking to get together and eat out. Whoever tries to replace him will have big shoes to fill. Or is it a big stomach?

No comments: