Thursday, July 19, 2007

Off to the great wild

I had a simple run to the grocery store last night. For the weekend's camping trip, I needed to pick up basically 3 things. Loaf of bread, container of milk, and a stick of butter Some kind of bakery for breakfast, some cheese, and a steak. I would be in and out of the store.

I knew what I wanted for bakery. Kringle. I will put up kringle against any other morning donut/danish/bagel/muffin/whatever you got baked breakfast good. It is the best. I figured 2 of those would do. One nutty, the other with some kind of fruit filling. Unfortunately, it would be at the kringle that my theme for this shopping spree would start.

No selection.

I had a choice of raspberry, walnut, pecan, and almond. No cherry, apple, cheese, or even strawberry. I grabbed the one raspberry and the almond. Must get almond because it tastes like an amaretto kringle. I also grabbed a cherry danish coffee cake.

Next stop was the meat section. Ribeyes were on sale. But word was they were small. Word was right. Not a single one of the cuts they had out there was over .75 of a pound. Not one. WTF?!?!? Though I was tempted to buy 2 or 3 to make a good steak, I decided not to and went with a T-bone. Probably should have walked over to the meat counter and said something but I didn't want to spend that much time in the store. Heck, I had cheese to buy.

Keeping up with the theme, I learned a valuable lesson. Though we have plenty of cheese in this state of ours, you apparently do go to buy some on the last day of the sale. It was like a ghost cheese refrigerator. Empty spindles where bags of shredded sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and Monterrey jack should be hanging. I felt lucky to get any at this point yet I did manage to get what I needed. It looks to be a very cheddarry weekend.

Having gotten the shopping done, I went home and settled in to a nice beer as my reward. I had some Big Sky Scape Goat waiting to be enjoyed. It is a refreshing pale ale. Just the right amount of hops and a smooth taste. I would recommend the Scape Goat to all ale drinkers. It seems that along with Moose Drool, that Big Sky makes some good beers. I will have to keep an eye out for any other of their brews that show up at the local store. I haven't been disappointed by their beers yet.

There was one small side effect though. My butt was sounding like a trumpet this morning. I could have been in the horn section for the band Chicago. And let me tell you, it is not Saturday in the Park. Ok, I know I really didn't need to let everyone know that part but I thought it sounded pretty funny throwing a Chicago song out there while having gas. C'mon, admit it, you laughed a bit.

I am out until maybe Monday. Have a good weekend and rock on with your bad selfs!

No comments: