Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Let's talk beer

So the World Beer Cup results were announced yesterday. There were a couple things that caught my eye. First was Blue Moon having a great showing and winning best large brewery. I found that interesting considering I just had the Spring beer and found it forgettable. I have enjoyed the white and the winter. In fact, I have even had the pumpkin which is good. What got me was the Summer beer they have. Honey Moon. I noticed it won a gold in the honey category besting Michelob Honey Lager. That Michelob Honey may be one of the few beer made in St. Louis that I truly think is top notch. Thinking the Honey Moon might be better, I have to get some. I wonder if it is better than Gray's Honey Ale, a brew I haven't had in such a long time.

Another brewery that caught my eye with some awards was Pabst. Yep, Pabst Brewing won 4 awards including American Light Lager with Old Milwaukee Light. That must piss off the Miller Lite people. This campaign they have had touting their Gold trophies will have to come to an end. How do you lose to Old Swill?

That got me to thinking about the judging. How is it done? I could find there were 129 judges from throughout the world, but how do they go about finding a winner? I would assume the judges are different every year and everything is done on a blind test. Different palates would mean different favorites. Thus repeat winners seem far and few between. I also can't help but wonder how many people get to drink all of these beers when the judging is done. That would be a nice party.

Congrats to the winners. I hope to enjoy some of these beers soon.

No comments: