Friday, October 30, 2009

Chili weekend

I bought one little habanero at the store yesterday. I paid 6 cents for it. I think the scale at the self checkout couldn't weigh it correctly as I am sure I should have paid more. They were $5.99/pound. What they are saying it the one I picked out weighed only an ounce. Maybe that is right, maybe it isn't. I just know it may provide a nice kick to the chili. Or maybe not. It may end up that I need more than one but from what I have seen in Man versus Food, one should be a good starting point.

With that habanero I have just over 3 pounds of chuck, 2 pounds of pork rib meat, 3 green peppers, 2 onions, both diced and crushed tomatoes, garlic, cumin and chili powder. It should all be in the pot and ready to cook at day Saturday. I will eat happily for the next 5 days.

I will also be tossing in one Sam Adams Black lager into the mix. Maybe a splash or two of Maker's Mark as well. Whatever looks like it will make it better goes in to the pot.

As you can figure out, I am not much of a recipe guy. I toss in whatever sounds good. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example I thought some pork would work really well. When I saw the sale on the country style ribs yesterday I figured at the very least it will cook that meat and make it good. Other things don't work such as really hoppy beer. That was a disaster last year.

Damn, have to hop to a meeting. Maybe I can recall what I was going to say.

Oh yeah, I know what I wanted to say. My kitchen is a mess! My cleaning person was to show on Wednesday but she called in sick, saying she would take care of it today. She comes by every other week which means I usually do some dishes during the offweek. Well, this time I didn't. Worse yet, if I don't do any dishes by the Sunday in which she cleans, I figure I can just leave them because she will do them in a couple of days.

Which means my kitchen is pretty much trashed right now. The sink is full. There are two pans on the stove that need to be cleaned. My counter top is pretty bad too.

But I rather look at it as benefitting the economy. If Obama can make up shit like saying he has saved 1 million jobs, I can actually prove that I have. My laziness helps keep one person employed. To the scoreboard!
Number of jobs proven to be saved:
StB 1 Obama 0.

Looking forward to eating chili, drinking beer, and avoiding trick or treaters on Saturday.

1 comment:

Hey Jo said...

I found a recipe yesterday that had chocolate chips and a double chocolate stout in it. Sounds kinda good. I woudl definately start out with a smaller batch to start. http://bit.ly/16Dndp