Thursday, May 27, 2010

I feel better, when I'm drinking

When I got home yesterday the cleaning lady was there. I am not sure why she has decided to change hours on me. I would complain and lay the law down but I had a load of dishes that really needed to be washed.


Besides, she said something to me that was possibly the smartest thing I had ever heard her say. "Why don't you just go to the bar while I clean. You'll be out of my way and I'll be out of yours."


I may have been out the door before she even finished that sentence. It was brilliant. While driving home with the sun shining on me, I had contemplated going out to Romans for a couple of beers. Now it was obvious. My cleaning lady was delivering a message from God.


So I hopped in the car and drove to the bar.


Which was closed.


It was 5:05. He opens at 5. At least he is supposed to open at 5.


Good thing I drove. I then went to the dive bar. A couple Lites before real beer wasn't going to kill me. Kill time yes, kill me no. I only had a couple before taking off. It looked like it would rain so getting out of there to at least put the top up was a good idea.


Once I got to Roman's I immediately ordered. I was giddy to try the Flying Dog Raging Bitch. In fact, I had feared it would be gone by the time I got there. It was tapped last week and there was a chance it would be gone within a week. Thankfully it wasn't.


Raging Bitch is a Belgian style IPA. This type of beer seems to be the rage as of late. You get the hoppiness of a typical IPA but a bit of sweetness to take the edge off. Not being a fan of really hoppy beers (I tried the Lagunitas Downtown Pale Ale yesterday which gagged me with its bitterness), I like the Belgian IPAs for that very reason. They drink well without leaving that aftertaste.
I also sampled the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. Wow! If you ever would call a beer complex, this is it. Very good flavor with kick. 12% alcohol people. 12%!!! I liked how it flowed over the tongue, liquid but thick. Start your night off with these and you will never drink a mass produced beer again.
I finished by drinking with the New Belgium Ranger IPA. Good beer. Weakest of the 3. I am opening up to some of New Belgium's product lately. I believe Fat Tire to be not only way overrated, but not that good. Other brews like Ranger and Mighty Arrow are much better.
Damn, beer talking time is over. Work time starting. I am looking forward to trying St. Francis beers tonight from the brewpub. Looks like a review is in store for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mim said...

Came across your blog while messing around on my boyfriend's computer. Really great stuff and had me giggling a few times! Will be back in future :-)