Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Shot!

I did something that I don't think I had done since I was in the 4th grade. I got a vaccination. A flu shot to be exact.

For the most part, I am basically anti-shot. I am not afraid of needles. I just figured having a virus- dead or not- being put into my body was a great idea. A virus gets you sick. I rather keep it from surfing my blood stream.

So why did I get a shot today? I really don't know. Maybe because it was free. Maybe I was curious what it was like to get a shot again. Maybe I wanted to kill some time at work.

The experience was rather boring. I remember the time in grade school. There was this gun that they used. They held it against your arm and boom! It quickly shot a needle in your arm, drop its payload, and it was done. I don't recall it hurting when I was a kid. I do recall faking the pain because everyone one the class thought it hurt. I guess I wasn't cool enough to strut around acting like a little badass that could take the shot.

There was no gun today. Each syringe looked like it had a needle about an inch long. I watch the lady push the need into a co-worker's arm like it was nothing. When it was my turn I didn't feel a thing. It was a non-event.

I do wonder if I might feel any affects from the vaccination. Some people at work have felt a bit down in the days after getting their shots. I figure my immune system will pounce on the virus and I'll feel just fine tomorrow. I hope so. I am scheduled to give blood on Thursday.

2 comments:

AletaR said...

Knock on wood but I have never gotten ill from a flu shot. I also had mine yesterday and got a cute little bandage.

Diarrhea of the Mouth said...

the one year I got a flu shot, i f"ing got the flu. will never get a flu shot ever again.