Thursday, May 03, 2007

Thursday thoughts

Sweeeeeeeeeep!

The Milwaukee Brewers swept the St. Louis Cardinals yesterday, sweeping them for the first time in 5 years. More impressive was the scoring. They outscored the redbirds 23-3 in the series. Just like McDonalds, I'm loving it!

********
The Milwaukee Journal has an article about how drinking may lead to brain shrinking. Rather stupid article. One just need to listen to Cliff Claven of Cheers fame:
"Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast
as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest
ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the
herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps
improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way,
the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we
know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks
the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of
beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more
efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few
beers."
Makes sense to me. I guess the Journal article did have one good point. They said it affects women more than men. So that explains why women seem to be attracted to jerkweeds.

********
Two fingers of Maker's Mark was all I had to drink last night. Guess I won't be invited to the next binge drinker's festival. Unless I make up for it tonight.

********
Someone had asked for a list of my 20 favorite beers. 20? That would require quite a bit of research. I can rattle off a number of beers that I have had recently that I would most certainly drink again. New Glarus Spotted Cow. Smuttynose Imerial Stout. Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat. Lakefront Cherry Lager. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Magic Hat #9. Salvatore Dopple Bock. Sprecher Dopple Bock. Breckinridge Vanilla Porter. Schell Caramel Bock.

See, I cannot really rank them. Just good beers that I have had that I would recommend you try if you see them at the local pub or store. Feel free to leave suggestions on what I should be drinking.

********
I will be the happy one come tomorrow when this work week is over. I will be heading downtown to drink some beers at the Rock Bottom brewery. Thanks to KL for buying me beer! The first toast is to you.

********
I had something pretty fun to post about last night but have now forgotten what it is/was. Of course I could have jotted down some notes to remember but I figured that wouldn't be a problem. Wrong again.

********
Not sure what they are doing outside the house but they ripped up a strip of the street last night. All night. Water main break? Doubt it. But they worked from 7:30 pm straight through and were still going when I left for work. Major repairs were done on the street 5 (?) years ago so I am not sure what went wrong. Hell, I was just happy I could take a shower this morning.

No comments: