Sunday, November 09, 2008

OMG, Hu R U?

I was sitting at the bar at Roman's Pub enjoying some of their fine beer selection (this night would have me sampling the Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock, Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale, the Victory Storm King Imperial Stout and the Rogue Morimoto Imperial Pilsner, each one fantastic though I should have had the pilsner first instead of enjoying all the dark beers ahead of it) when I noticed a text on my phone. It was from an unknown number.

Usually I ignore unknown numbers. But curiousity got the better of me. I am the curious sort. I must have been a cat in a previous life. So took a look.

The message asked "Are you still single?" and it was was signed by a friend of a friend. Someone I don't really know. Someone I haven't actually met in person.

I looked at the message and laughed. Why was someone I don't know trying to set me up with someone? Even better, how the hell do I come up in a conversation between two people I don't know?

I figured I would go ahead with this and have some fun. I answered back "Why do you ask?" I got the full story there. Still seems weird. So I called this person. I figured I should talk to some one I have never spoken with to find out if they were truly who they said they were and to find out what the hell was really happening. In the end I was given an email.

Still seems weird. Why would someone I don't know be chatting me up to strangers? I don't necessarily mind, but I you never what people are going to do or what kind of people they think I should be hanging out with.

What's next, setting me up with a recovering alcoholic? Oh wait, that has been done.

2 comments:

J. Gambino said...

If the person talking you up to someone is a girl, then you should not even wonder about it. We are always trying to set you up.

James Wigderson said...

I would like to point out we did not set you up with the recovering alcoholic. In fact, we tried to set you up with a drinker.

But I can't believe the rest of the story...