Saturday, April 18, 2009

Slang.

Going through papers at work. Stacks of them. Stacks of paper that I cannot take home to work on. Damn privacy laws!

I noticed that when security does their rounds on my floor that they do not come walking through my area. I wonder why that is? Shouldn't they come by to see who is in the building? Maybe ask for an ID? Is it because I am playing Slayer? I did notice they turned off the light in the room with the coffee. I also think they took some of my coffee as I find it hard to believe I drank a whole pot.

Now I am listening to some Triumph on Lost FM. Good stuff. Better stuff is this post by the Bracelet. Seems I am not the only one with fucked up dreams. Like the one last night where some old lady was harassing me in a weird community mall. She was trying to lead me out of the place even though I kept insisting I belonged there because I had leased space on the other side of the place. Worst part was she kept touching me. That was annoying the crap out of me. I wanted to haul off and put my fist in her piehole, but I don't hit women (except on the ass) and apparently don't do in my dreams either.

WTF? Winger? Wait...acoustic Winger? Like that might make it better. Ugh. I just found myself singing the words. "I'll find a way, to live again."

I think I may have found the downside to having an iPhone. While I tout how great it is to be able to know anything at just about anytime, I didn't realize people would be serious and bug me to look things up. Last night they wanted to find the origins of slang terms. Specifically, why do we refer to a penis as a dick or a vagina as a box. One would think with the internet you could find this stuff. Apparently not. Or at least I am using a crappy search engine.

Best I come up with is from the American Heritage Dicktionary.
Dick
NOUN:
1. Slang Chiefly British A fellow; a guy. 2. Vulgar A penis. 3. Vulgar A person, especially a man, regarded as mean or contemptible.
TRANSITIVE VERB:
Inflected forms: dicked, dick·ing, dicksVulgar 1. To take advantage of; cheat. 2. To have sexual intercourse with.
PHRASAL VERBS:
dick around Vulgar 1. To spend time idly; fool around. 2. To be sexually promiscuous. dick up Vulgar To botch or bungle.
ETYMOLOGY:
From Dick, nickname for Richard.

Box
NOUN:
19. Vulgar Slang The vulva and the vagina.

ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin buxis, from Greek puxis, from puxos, box tree.

That is the best I can do with my limited attention span.

Now Sammy Hagar is on singing I've Done Everything For You, a song made popular by Rick Springfield even though Sammy wrote it. On to Loverboy and Workin' for the Weekend.

Ah yes, the weekend. What the hell am I doing at work again?

No comments: