Thursday, July 09, 2009

Who would have known

I learned something new today. The Milwaukee Wave, the professional indoor soccer team that calls the city home, is going to fold. I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't read about it in the newspaper. Seems like next Wednesday is the do or die date for the franchise.

This is kinda sad. The Wave has been pretty successful winning a couple titles in their history. The players go out and serve the community. They do what they can to get people to come to games.

But people don't go. I may sound like an ass but it doesn't appear to be a viable business model. If they can sell 2000 season tickets they can stay afloat to play in the National Indoor Soccer League and battle the 4 other teams in an 18 game season. Yep, you read that correctly. 4 other teams. So there really isn't a market out there for the product.

Sometimes you just have to let go. People need to learn that failure happens and in this case, no one wants to go watch indoor soccer. If they did there would be more than 5 teams in a league.

I wish them all the luck but won't shed a tear. Some may say the kids will miss out but I think those 5 kids will find something else to do. Maybe they should toughen up and try football.

Man I wish it was Friday. Don't feel like working. It must show as I just wrote about soccer. Must fake it through the next 3 hours.

No comments: