Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanks

Over the past couple of years Thanksgiving seemed to be just a day off of work that people spent with families watching football, eating too much, and then getting into inevitable argument or brooha with one of the kids. This year it does feel different. The holiday has more meaning to most people I see or have talked to.

It appears most people are being more reflective about their lives this year and discovering that they truly are thankful for a number of things. Count me in as one of those people.

I am thankful for my family. I don't agree with some of the things going on with my brother or sister but I know that they would be there for me should something happen. I am thankful for what my parents have done in raising me, especially my mother. She was such a strong person that instituted a lot of my views and especially my work ethic. I am thankful for my father as the one who made me understand that you can achieve what you want and that a setback doesn't mean you are finished.

I am thankful for my friends. Whether it be people I talk to on a daily basis, those I run into at a bar, those that have come to meet via this blog or by meeting in Vegas, friends at work, or friends from college, it has always amazed me how helpful they have been. These people go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. They help those in need and show support when it is needed. It is you people that make me a better person.

I am thankful I have a job that I not only enjoy but find satisfying. Well, most of the time. With many unemployed I am happy to have a paycheck coming in. Even if I am the only one working in the department tomorrow.

I am thankful for the country I live in. I am thankful we can debate and argue what is best for everyone. And though you probably don't think so, I do listen to your opinion. I may not agree with it but I do listen to try and understand why you have that point of view. Because it is only after listening that I can mock you in the most appropriate and effective way. Just kidding.

I am thankful I am pretty healthy. Like most people in Wisconsin I could lose a few pounds. I may even consider doing something about it after I gorge myself today. I am also thankful I will be able to eat a good meal when many will need to go to a shelter for a meal. I may have joked about the kind of food people donate but at least they are giving. My bag consisted of 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of peas, and a can of string beans. Give when you can.

Finally, I will be thankful that everyone has safe travels today. Be good to each other.

No comments: