Saturday, April 03, 2010

Beer and the Scorpions

I spent my evening enjoying some beer at Roman's Pub last night. After a week of hearing how Stone Brewing was invading Chicago, I was not only jealous but quite thirsty. I enjoy Stone's beers. I think their pale ale is fantastic. Thus I had to try the Cali-Belgique, a belgian IPA high bred. Sweet with a slightly hoppy aftertaste. Interesting and quite good.

Next up was the Tyrannena Down n Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. I couldn't recall if I had this one before. I had to drink it just to be safe. Smooth. Exactly what I had hoped for. I could see downing a couple of these after work.

I proceeded along my pilgrimage across the beer map. It is rare that I drink the same beer twice when I am at Romans. Too many choices of beer to enjoy. I went with the Dogfish Head Red and White. The owner of the tavern like to call it "the date rape beer" because it is slightly sweet and clocks in at 10% ABV. The beer itself has some wine juice added to the bear before it is aged in both wine and oak barrels and then blended together before kegged. I think most women would enjoy it.

My next beer was a bit out of my wheel house. I tried the Upland Komodo Dragonfly Black IPA. In a world of hop heads, I am one that prefers malt. The concept for this beer was a stout taste up front with the IPA on the back end. I thought it was ok. It was a dark IPA. An ok one at that.

My final beer was chosen because of the tap handle. It was a messed up looking pirate. The beer itself was Piraat Golden Ale or as they would say in Belgium, BROUWERIJ VAN STEENBERGE PIRAAT. Good stuff here. Smooth and tasty. It finished the night well.

I ended up calling it a night and played some poker while listening to the Scorpions. Thought I had said a week or so ago that it wasn't as good as Humanity Hour 1, I now stand corrected. Sting in the Tail is much better after having listed to it again. A couple songs really jumped out on the second listen that I have played it while working. I am even listening to is as I type this out. Try it, you'll like it.

No comments: