Monday, May 31, 2010

A tale of 2 bands

I took in my fill of live local music this weekend. It was a good kickoff of the 2010 adventure that I call Drinking for Jesus.

I walked away on Saturday night knowing why I am not into country music, and the difference in how local bands go on stage and do their thing. Some bands have amazing setups with serious light displays as well as the simplest version of a guy putting lights on and off when they feel like it. And others are smack dab in the middle.

I saw a bit of both. Rhythm Method as usual had the best show with a lighting setup that is top notch. On the other hand was Chasin Mason, a country band my friends like. It was like night and day.

It probably isn't fair to compare these two bands. Rhythm Method has been on the scene for a while and are a known commodity. I call them the best cover band in Milwaukee hands down. In fact, there were a couple of other bands that were out to catch this show. I wonder if they were there to learn something.

Chasin Mason is relatively new the scene (3-5 years, I could be wrong). They are not bad musicians. They can handle their own. There wasn't anything I heard from the stage that caught my ear but they seem to be popular with a niche that no one is really filling.

There were a couple of things that I enjoyed about the music. Rhythm Method keeps changing it up. They do not do the same songs that every other cover band does. Better yet, they are damn good at what they play. They pride themselves on being good musicians. The set this weekend seemed to add in new songs as well as bring back some solid 70s and 80s guitar rock that they hadn't played over the last 2 years. I am hoping that is carried throughout the rest of the summer.

The other thing interesting from the show was the mention of two other bands that members of Rhythm Method were involved with. Photograph, a Def Leppard tribute, and an offshoot of that called Naughty Chair. Sounds like there might be some more hard rock hitting the scene in Milwaukee. I am looking forward to that.


No comments: