Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A beer story gone bad

There is a good article on JSOnline today about beer in the State of Wisconsin. 8 great beer meccas are within a driving distance of Milwaukee. I quickly clicked to read it.



But I also quickly found many omissions. Simple yet glaring omissions. Though the title of the article is about beer places within driving distance of Milwaukee, I am pretty certain that the writer of the story hasn't made the drive herself.



I was able to pick out 4 things she missed in the first half of the article. Sure it is nice to have her mention some of the good taverns in my neighborhood in Milwaukee but she seemed to rave on about one in particular that I found to be flat and boring. The Sugar Maple may have a good beer selection but who wants to drink beer in a coffee house atmosphere? The place deserves a mention but a little tavern called Burnhearts (who seems to be surviving on an old MySpace page) has as good if not better beer selection.



Let's head west, shall we? If I mention Madison breweries, I think 7 out of 10 people will say Capital Brewery right away. Real beer geeks will also toss in Ale Asylum. But not our author. She prefers to talk about the pourers instead of the creators. Sad.



And no mention of the Grumpy Troll in Mount Horeb? I like this little pub. Good food and good beer not to mention the little trolls around the area.



I bet I could find some more omissions if I knew a bit more of the breweries in the northern part of the state. I guess I need to road trip for educational value!

No comments: