Friday, November 05, 2010

Back home

I have always wanted to go to Boston. Since a trip to London in the mid 90s, I have had an interest in going to places that are rich in history. Granted I didn't have much time to take in the sights but it is a first step. I hate it when business gets in the way.

The local dialect is as amusing as you would expect it to be. The dropping of 'r's on car, park, and anything that rhymes with it. The use of 'wicked' instead of 'very'. But the one thing I didn't expect was the appearance of an 'r' is words that ended with an 'a'. Data became datar, criteria was criteriar. There were times I had to stop myself from laughing.

I stayed in a hotel across from Copley Square. I am sure it can be quite magnificent in the summer but in the fall it looked like it was shut down for the winter. I think there is suppose to be a fountain of some sort but it was empty when I went by.

On my first night I wandered down Boylston Street looking for a place to eat. Whenever I travel by myself, I look for a nice casual place to eat. I will scout ahead to get an idea of what is available. Knowing the boss would have a shitfit if I went out eating $50 steaks each night, I figure if I can find a place where I can get a couple beers and maybe a burger that I'll be fine. That led me to McGreevy's, a place that bills itself as America's first sports bar.

It kinda looks like a dive bar. It is nice inside but it is cluttered with old Boston sports stuff on the walls. That and Dropkick Murphys signs. The music was good and the beer satisfied. I was looking to try the local brews and sampled the Harpoon IPA. Good stuff. From there I played it safe with the always tasty, Magic Hat #9. The burger was damn good as were the 10 cent wings. I left McGreevy's with a full stomach and a bit of a buzz.

I was amused by some of the locals shooting the shit at the bar. They talked about how kids have been stealing each other's bikes through the generations. It sounded like the only way they got a bike as a kid is if they stole one from a kid a couple blocks over.

I just hoped my conference the next day would not be boring.

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

Wow you were across the street from my work. I think that's the hotel used in Nicks show the Suite Life. The Church there is nice but the park is mostly a homeless hangout.. and Skateboarders in the winter.

StB said...

I did notice some homeless people congregating on the steps of the library across the street. Also one guy who was using a filled garbage bag as a pillow.