Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hairy changes

It has been a long time since someone else cut my hair. I was a bit concerned that I would have to go through a process of checking new places out until I could find someone I could rely on for the next 15 years. Yep, that is how long I went to the same barber. That is what guys do.

I found it interesting that a new barber shop opened in the same space where the old one was. If the owner of the building didn't think he could make a go of it, then how could someone else?

I got my answer when I called to see if I could stop in or if an appointment was needed. When she told me the price I was a bit surprised. But I was also intrigued. Something told me there was more involved that just the haircut I had been getting. And if the job was well done, then it would be worth spending a bit more and helping support a local business.

When I walked into the shop I could see the differences right away. Fresh paint made the place looked brighter and bigger. It wasn't as cluttered. Everything was simple. Three chairs were available though only one lady was working. There was a couch in the room with a cow skin on the floor. Interesting.

I had to wait until she finished up the guy in the chair. I paged through an edition of The Economist as they chatted away. They seemed to have a previous relationship. I figured she must have had some clients before opening up her own shop.

When they were done, I waited for her to sweep up the hair. At that point she offered me something to drink. Water, soda, coffee, expresso, Pabst. "No thank you, I am fine. Er, wait. Did you just offer me a Pabst?" I can have a beer while I wait? She may have a client for life!

Actually this is one of the things I had assumed about the place. Buddy of mine told me of another place that does this. Makes sense. Make people feel comfortable as they wait. I life it.

When I got into the chair, we went through the normal chit chat. You live around here? How did you find out about us? Blah, blah blah.

I was only in the chair for a bit of time when she said it was time to wash my hair. Ok. Another thing I figured was worked into the price so it wasn't a surprise. I have never had my hair washed in a barber shop before. It felt nice as she also worked in a scalp massage.

Back in the chair she began to cut away. At this point she asked if I had ever been to a bar on KK called Roman's Pub? I chuckled as I told her I try to frequent the place as much as I can. I confessed to being a bit of a beer snob and we talked a bit about beer. A girl who knows her beer. I can dig that.

I asked her more about the shop, the name, and the motif. Found it interesting that she doesn't want to cut women's hair. That the shop is designed with the intent of men only. I was tempted to ask if that meant no butch lesbians would be allowed but thought it was too early to ask.

I was impressed by the razor work as well. Interesting technique she used with a comb over the top of my head. She also did a great job on my neck.

When all was said and done, I ended up with a haircut I was very pleased with. She then informed me that the price of the haircut included touch ups; I can stop in to have sideburns and neck trimmed up when they get out of hand.

As I left she mentioned I should tell her what kind of beer to get. She too would like to get rid of that Pabst in favor of something better.

3 comments:

TripJax said...

I've been cutting my own year for the past 10 years, but I'd probably quit if I had a place like that near by...

TripJax said...

Hair, not year. Stupid auto-correct on my phone.

SirFWALGMan said...

I was waiting for the happy-ending to the haircut but decent post anyways.