Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pink Donut Theory

Donuts and the office. They go together like salt and pepper. Peanut butter and jelly. The Dallas Cowboys and football.
It is always a pleasure to see someone bring in some donuts. Yet some people are guilty of a flawed process in the donut selection. Or should I say, lack of selection. See the worst thing one can do when buying donuts is to let the person working the counter choose the donuts. When you let the donut server choose which bits of bakery go into the box, you are going to end up with the donuts that do not sell as well.
That means you are guaranteed to get a pink donut.
No one around here likes the pink donut. The pink donut is going to end up being the last donut in the box. Rarely eaten, it is destined to hit the garbage. I know this from experience. I first observed the pink donut phenomenon years ago. It has stuck with me ever since. Now I can’t help but take a look into donut boxes around the floor to verify the pink donut has been left behind.
The led to the Pink Donut Theory. That is it guaranteed to be the last donut in the box. Since I have explained the Pink Donut Theory to fellow co-workers, they have marveled in the way that baked good is left behind.
Of course this leads me to one of my greatest fears. That some smart ass will bring in a box of pink donuts just to spite me. I hope that day never comes.

No comments: