Friday, July 09, 2010

2000

According to Blogger, this is my 2000th post. Really? I have sat down and banged out words 2000 times? It is hard for me to believe.

As I think about it some more, it is rather phenomenal.

It all began with a conversation in the Miller Lite Beer Pen at Miller Park. I was sitting there with my friend Annette (name changed to protect the innocent) on a Friday night in May. I had mentioned to her that I was thinking of creating this thing called a blog. I either described to her my old Geocities page, What's Pissing Me Off, or she had read it, and mentioned that they had this blog thing that does all the work for you. You just typed and hit a button and BAM! there it was.

The only thing that was holding me back at the time was a title for it. As we sat in the stands drinking our beer, we realized that the best ideas come to you while drinking. That is when Annette made the comment, "You should call While Drinking, I..." I instantly knew that was good and would use it.

But to still be doing this after 6 years? Wow. I am not a writer. I know people who can tell stories much better than I. I am more the guy who writes of things he thinks are funny, or deserved to be mocked, or something that is pissing him off. Or of booze, beer, and being schnockered. Toss in music and politics and hey, I have churned 2000 posts.

I guess I would have hit the mark a lot earlier if I hadn't decided to make Beer City Poker its own entity. I have been too busy to play much poker so the updates there are sparse.

The most amazing thing to come out of this has to be the people I have met. People I consider to be friends. People I hope consider me to be their friend. These people have taken me to different parts of the country. Philadelphia, Key West, New York, Atlantic City, the rooftops of Chicago, and next month Minneapolis. I don't need to mention the numerous trips to Vegas. That should be a given.

Combine them with the friends I have at home and I am one rich person. Surround yourself with good people and you will enjoy life. Just be ready to step outside your comfort zone and explore the world when they ask you to. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.

I raise my glass to all of you. To the people I don't know that read my silly thoughts, to the people I drink with at the bar, and those I jet off with for a weekend of debauchery.

Cheers everyone!

Now who needs a drink?

1 comment:

DaveS said...

Am a fan of your poker blog as well so just thought I'd stumble over to congratulate you on reaching 2000 - that's an impressive feat. Keep the posts coming.